Okay so this has been a pretty shitty week all in all. And it might just end up being the end of the marathon training for me- WHICH PISSES ME OFF BEYOND BELIEF.
So here's what's going down...
A few months back, maybe January or so, I was doing these sprint intervals on the treadmill as part of my linebacker personal trainer session. I was up to a 6.5 minute per mile sprint, pretty damn freaking fast. We'd do one minute on like that, jump off, lift for 1 minute, heavy weights, low reps, and then run back to the treadmill and sprint again. These intervals would usually go fro anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes, depending upon how saucy I was feeling that day. I would do these once or twice a week. Then add to that a little bit of running or elliptical on the other days.
Anyway one day on the treadmill I had a massive shot of pain run down my groin towards my knee. It kinda went away after another few reps, so I didnt think too much of this. It would come back occasionally. I just thought it was the usual.
The only other completely weird thing that happened between then and about April was the soles of my feet started hurting after long runs. I replaced my shoes again, thought we were done with that.
Anyway, since late April I have been ramping up the miles, averaging around 23 miles per week. Some weeks I am in the teens, sometimes, near 30. All the while the pain in my groin to the knee has been growing more common. And add to that an extreme achey and sore outer hip, so much so that I can;t sleep on that side any longer.
Mostly this fucking pisses me off. I take my ibuprofen, the inflammation subsides, and I can run through it. For the most part, the pain subsides by mile 2. But I look like an old slow woman for the first 2 miles until things start to work themselves out.
A bunch of shit was running through my brain about what it could be. I have very poor veins in my right leg and though it might be related, deep vein thrombosis or something like that. Maybe venous insufficiency. Another thought was tendonitis, bursitis or a sports hernia. But it didnt get worse when I lifted or sneezed or anything so I though it wasnt a hernia.
So I needed to go to the Dr anyways to get a few scripts renewed and thought I would be honest and mention it to her. I did and without hesitation she said it sounded like I had a stress fracture in the head of my femur. Or it was in the hip itself. Boy I wished you guys could have seen my face because I couldnt believe that one. Never saw it coming. If this diagnosis holds, buh-bye marathon. Buy-bye running for minimum of 6 weeks. FUCK FUCK FUCK.
I have 300 miles in and now I might have to shut this down??!!! For real?!!!! WTF.
So I did what a lot of other dumbasses would do- I went for a 7 mile run-walk. I've been dealing with this for 6 months so until I am told to fuck off by my Dr., I am running conservatively. The weird thing is, I felt really good, and was even running 9 min/miles.
okay so where is it now: I've been hollered at by my friends, I have not told me family (and wont until its ruled in and out) and I have a MRI scheduled for 8am on Thursday.
And my groin hurts all the time now. Kinda like your underwear is 2 sizes too small and the elastic is pinching you beyond belief and then someone hits you in the pelvis with a barbell. Repeatedly.
So for the time being I am swimming laps and on the elliptical and walking outside until I hear something.
FUCK THIS ALL
Summary for this week.
M: 3mi
Tu: 2mi
W: 4 mi
Th: Linebacker workout and Dr's appt
Fri: 3 miles on the elliptical
Sat: Fuck all. Bought new shoes in hopes of being able to wear them.
Sun: Fuck this: Run-walk 7 miles. Felt fine.
totals for this lower mileage week: 19 miles.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is Daveshit. I am sorry you have continuous pain in your groin now, that can't be good. I will stop complaining about my black toe nails. If anyone can handle this, it's you. You will be fine and you will be running soon enough! If you can only swim, think of this as a grat opportunity to really improve at swimming, and then attack later with a TRI! :) Hang in there friend!!!!!
ReplyDeleteno need to sop with the funny toenail posts APop. I get a good laugh out of your reactions to this, as I know of your serious aversion to pain.
ReplyDeleteand yes, perhaps I will think Tri if the MRI goes south on me.