Monday, August 17, 2009

Week 11: Welcome to the land of Hill training.

I am in sunny California this week at a science conference. But does this prevent me from ticking off my training runs, including 14 miles along the coastline. HELL TO THE NO. Dedication? Stupidity? Addiction? You be the judge... here's how the week went down in CA, with a few surprises throughout the week.

Sunday: My family was in town visiting and so I chilled with them, doing a 3 mile hike along the Maumee Bay State Park trail system, where Maumee River meets Lake Erie. It was about 93 degrees outside and a 100 degree heat index. But heat be damned! We hit it and saw some great sights, including the 3ft Eastern Watersnake that slithered right in front of my Mom and I while we were walking.

Monday: Sent my family packing and went to work to sort shit out there. Since it was still so hot, I ran on the treadmill inside. Did another 3 miles and then had to call it quits to go get some sleep.

Tuesday: Personal trainer (1mi on treadmill) + 2 miles inside. Had to cut it short so I could pack for my trip.

Wednesday: Travel Day. I hate those little seats and the large men that are in front of you that put their seat back and the little kid behind you that kicks your seat. I could barely walk after that. throw in the 3 hr time difference and I am flogged. But that shan't stop me from body surfing with friends. We hit the ocean at Torrey Pines State park with the boogie boards for 2 hrs. Lets call that cross training.

Thursday: Conference. Ate sushi in the sunshine with peers. Sat on my ass for 8 hrs at conference. Got in a quick 2 miles to relieve stress.

Friday: Got up at 6am, hit the UCSD campus loop. Holy hills! Did 4.2 miles around the campus, checking out their sculpture collection, and running through the pines. It was a bit unlike what I have been doing, as it was non-stop hills so my quads got hammered. Recovered pretty fast though and after sitting on my ass again at the conference, went with friends down to the beach below Salk Institute. The clothing optional beach. We descending a cliff to get down there, which was quite a workout. We were rewarded with a beautiful surf and schlangs in our faces every which way you look. You see this was a mostly gay nude beach, apparently reserved for overweight men in their 50s and 60s. It was a little awkward, but you got over it pretty fast as no one seemed to care. Except for the man wearing what we will refer to as "The Apparatus" starting talking to our friend Kiki (name changed for privacy). Kiki was sitting on the beach whilst apparatus man stood above her, wearing a button down shirt and the apparatus, his member making a guest appearance hear and there during the course of Kiki's conversation with him. Talk about creepy. Kiki handled it well. Needless to say we packed it up soon afterwards and climbed up the cliff. We will just call this a cross training day of the eye opening kind.

Saturday: Off. Had to give a talk at the conference and couldnt sneak out. This is my normal long run, but that is being delayed until Sunday.

Sunday: LOng run along the Coast line. Ran along Torrey Pines Golf Course, skirted the ghekkos and various lizards in the desert trail, descended another cliff again (via runnable switchback) and ran along the beach up to DelMar. Turned around and met a local lady, with whom I ran for 6 miles. She told me about some trails I needed to hit in my last day in CA. The run was great, sunny, 70 degrees and fantastic surf. The only problem was I had to ascend that switchback cliff. It was, for my GR friends, like 20 Hall hills or Michigan hills strung together. It felt like a 1000ft ascent over 0.5 miles, but ended up being a 400ft ascent over 0.7 miles. It was insane to do my tip toe sprints up that. I did have to stop and walk a little, as my heart was pounding. Kicked that hill's arse and kicked it into a 9:30 for the least 3 miles of my run. Got back to my swank hotel on the oceanfront and PASSED OUT. 14.1 miles total.

So totals: 3+3+3+2+4.2+14.1=29.3 miles.

So tired. Got one more relaxing day in California before I head back to reality

No comments:

Post a Comment