Monday, August 24, 2009

Week 12: Lots of Daveshit. And some running too!

Okay so this week, I was traveling back from CA, and also having my first "back down" weeks where I do about 70% of the previous long run. It's a technique to basically prevent injury as well as burnout. Only problem is, it left me feeling like a loser since my miles for the week were so much less. Maybe this running gig is growing on me. Or not. Or maybe. 

Okay so I did my 14.1 miles along the beach between LaJolla and DelMar. Pretty friggin hard to beat that as it was just phenomenal! So I woke up from that run, after scarfing down my el gigante burger from room service the previous evening and I was, gasp, fine. I could walk, bend over and touch my toes, hips were good, etc. It felt strange to be in good enough shape to have survived that run without any stiffness or soreness. So I decided to go out for a while with my friend Art and his family to check out the Hale Observatory with an enormous 200 inch mirror on its telescope. If you are a science nerd, that's kinda crazy to think about. So here it is. Take 6 yard sticks, out them end to end and then construct a perfectly polished continuous piece of glass that is several inches thick. Then transport that Bitch up a 5000 ft elevation with gnarly switchbacks (mind you, it's like 1930 when you are trying to do this), then install it without breaking it! Pretty impressive. If that werent impressive enough, the signs for "Rattlesnakes! Beware!" had my gourd running in circles too. 

Traveling sucked as usual, with teeny tiny seats on the airplane. I paced the aisle barefooted like a mental patient, reading my book "Pride, Prejudice and Zombies", garnering freaky looks from many a folk. Eh, screw you. Turn the tv off bozos and pick up a book. ANY BOOK, cause reading is fundamental. So there went my entire Tuesday. 

The rest of the week passed rather quickly as stuff seems to implode when I go away from the lab. Damage control. 

By Friday I am ready for my friends Amy and Jenn to come into town the next day. Jenn is coming in to do the longest run of her life (9mi) with me, while Amy is tooling around on the bike, acting as the water wench. The run went great- meadow trail again. This time there were tons of deer out and about, particularly this pair of twin bucks with their antlers all fuzzy. They were about 5 pointers, At first, Amy wanted to shoot them, but I think she warmed up to them after a while. Of particular note was that Jenn and I smoked the run in less than a 10min/mile.

We decided to go for some Indian food as a reward, but I completely picked the place with good food, yet the WORST service ever. This was compounded by the fact that we were VERY HUNGRY from our run and it took about an hour just to get Naan. I think this took some wind out of our sail as we made off for the Village Idiot Bar a mile or so from my house. I have been meaning to try this place out and I am glad we did. Very hot, friendly and dry witted bartender that had the hots for Amy and more Simpsons stuff than one knew what to do with. They even had a tap with Milhouse on it!!!  And they had Oberon. I like this place. We hung out for  while, doing some Daveshit.

Okay, so if you've gotten here from Facebook you are now mystified by this term Daveshit. No we are not doing drugs. It is now an all encompassing term for  anything you do. You see I was describing the antics of my cousin Dave down in Mexico like 10 years ago and my friends asked me what he was doing, towit I answered " I dont know- Daveshit". Bam. Another Kate-ism is born, along with my friend Pete's fav "outerior" where my brain couldnt quite parse out exterior or outside and it came out as "outerior". So no drugs. Just Daveshit. 

So here is the lowdown then on this week of Daveshit...
Mon: hike 2 miles
Tues: airplane ride from hell. Pacing at 35k feet does not count in the training methinks.
Wed: 4 mi HARD run  at 9:20/mi
Thurs: 3 mi + personal training
Fri: off
Sat: 9 mi

So in this backdown week of 18 miles, I now have this weekend of BEERFEST, friends and a 15 mile solo run to look forward to. Another week, more daveshit.

2 comments:

  1. This is some messed up daveshit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect nothing but Daveshit when capers involved Jenn and Amy are afoot!

    ReplyDelete