Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Week 13: There's a giant penis chasing me. And some running too.

Okay so I'll get to the title in a few moments, so just indulge me.

This week was a decent, quieter week for me, after hosting my friends Amy and Jenn the previous weekend. I was freaking flogged from the get go this week though- this running gig is really taking it's toll on my sleep I tell you.

Well this week I was gearing up for another round of visitors for ...


BEERFEST! see my facebook page for details and video.

So I had to plan accordingly and get the cleaning, shopping, laundry done, not to mention crap at work and all the running. I started the week off right by taking the rest of Sunday off and taking a 2 hr long nap. Lordie I needed it after ditching those crazy ladies.

Monday I had one long-assed day at work, but that did not stop me from getting in a slow recovery run. Only did 3 miles at a slow clip, but it was all good. I tell you the first damn mile made me feel like an 80 year old woman as I just needed to work out the aches and pain. See, I havent taken ibuprofen but once or twice over the last 13 weeks. From what I understand it impedes muscle repair, which is good, and I honestly havent felt like I have needed it yet. A few aches is about it for me thus far, and so I'll just walk, or in this case, run it off.

Tuesday: I decided to go run a 5-er on the trail in Maumee, part of my usual Sat run. I had a blast on this run, mostly because I ran so damn fast due to the fact that my bladder felt like it was going to explode. The trail was a bit busy, otherwise I would have ducked behind a bush! The bathrooms were at the midway point. Needless to say my last 2.5 miles were 3 minutes faster than the first after a visit to the commode. Cranked a ~9:30 for this run. <48 minutes. No trainer session today as my trainer called out today.

Wed: I actually had fun on Tuesday's run, so I decided to do a repeat, only seeing if I could better the time. Busted it out and back in 46 minutes for a 9:20 average. Even I was impressed with myself. Nevermind that I crashed by 10pm that night.

Thursday: I had personal training again, with a different trainer, as Denise was out again. Holy legs and arms Batman. She killed me on bicep curls and then leg presses with 300lbs for 1 minute, followed by walking lunges with 30lbx2 barbells for 2 minutes. Ran another 1.5 miles here.

Now to Friday. I have to work all day. And it's a busy day. And my friends are coming to town that night. So I need to split from work at 5 and go directly into a 15.5 mile run so I can make it back in time to clean up my self and my house before guests arrive at 9pm. Problem is, it's pissing down rain for the majority of the day and I am also FLOGGED. Well I finally see a clearing at 4pm, and check the local radar, where a giant band of rain shaped like a big ole penis is roaring its way right at Perrysburg (where I live). So now I have to wait until the schlang passes before I can go, as it's a bad storm. I drive home as the storm is hitting, park the car in the garage, turn it off, and PASS OUT COLD in the drivers seat for 20 minutes. I mean head didnt even hit the pillow pass out. Guess I was tired, ehh. That and I could barely pick up my damn arms and legs still from yesterday's trainer session would explain that pass out.

woke up and storm was just finishing, so I decide to make a run for it, literally. I hit a new route on the east side of the river this time. It was a decent run on the road, despite the fact that there was a very narrow shoulder. But people in their cars were cool, even when the rain kicked in again. Crossed the River at mile 7 and hauled back along my more familiar route. Ate twice during the run (half powerbar each time) and, most importantly, never took a walk break, hearing Jenn's voice in my head calling me a wimp. Well I pulled it in just at dusk, finishing my 15.5 in 2 hrs, 38 min, a little over a 10 min mile, which was WAAAAY faster than I should have run that. But I was fine- a little creaky in the hips from the road running, I presume. and my arms were still very sore as you really do use them a lot during the run too. But dammit now I was done running or the week and could now take Sat for beerfest!!!


So the tally for the week:
Sunday: nada
Monday:3
Tues: 5
Wed: 5
Thurs: 1.5
Friday 15.5
Sat: 1.5 hike followed by copious beers

31.5 miles!!!! I have now cracked my first 30 mile+ week and I am mostly functional (just tired). I might be on to something folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment