Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Week 17: Foiled by a.... walnut?

okay so I left you last after a really shitty run through the rapids in GR on a Sunday with my friend Jenn. Jenn smoked it. I did not- even though I made my time goal TO THE SECOND.

This week though, I was feeling the pinch of some major overuse in my left knee, despite wearing the strappy knee cap thingee. I was also feeling freaking exhausted, fatigued, fried- you name it. I was these. I think this is probably encroaching upon the dreaded burnout. Let's face it. I have been abusing my body for 17+ weeks now without fail, without a weekend off. And it was starting to weight heavily on me.

So I decided to go against my training book and rest up. No 5 milesx2 runs this week. Instead it was 2x2 miles running during the week, coupled with only one trainer session. After all, allegedly I was supposed to do some 22 miles run this weekend (Ack!).

So here's the low-down.

Monday: 0. Sleep. Try to work on grant. Oh yeah, I have a 1.7 million dollar research grant going in on Oct 5, followed by a 1 million dollar one on Oct 15. Did I mention that crap too?!

Tuesday. No trainer. She has to work her second job that night. So I went out for a 2 mile test run, as my knees were in terrible shape. It was awful! I was limping and wanted to cry for the first 5 minutes. Then I STFU and ran. Worked it out by the 2 mile mark, but stopped there. 11 minute mile. Fine. I'll take it.

Wednesday. No trainer. Bailed on my strappy class to go and try out knees again. Again, awful forst few minutes, followed by focusing on lengthening the stride, standing upright and S-ing TFU. Worked. I felt good after 2, and did them in a 10:30.

Thursday: Trainer. Decided to do the versa climber to give my joints a little break again as I was still a bit creaky. We're dropping the leg weights now too for the next few weeks, to give my muscles a little bit f a break. It's all good. I'm still getting my ass kicked, so no worries.

Friday: 0. Beers with a few other faculty after work. SCARFED down food later that night in anticipation of the 22 miles on Sat. Only to be

Sat: foiled by rain. foiled by science. I thought about it and I needed to crank out a full day and a half on the grant before blasting my body and mind with 4.5 hours of continuous exercise. So I worked, ran errands and rested everything. Also started the preemptive ibuprofen in the evening.

Sunday: here we go. I needed to be on the trail by 2pm, best I figured, since I was anticipating 4.5 hrs at an 11-12 min mile for 22 miles or so. I actually felt great. Lubed up, decided to run sans hat this time since I look awful in any picture where I am wearing a visor and I have been running (vanity, I know). I wear shades anyways, so it wasnt necessary. So I decided to run on the Tpwpath, along the river, on a stretch I have only done once. The plan was to run 10 miles out, 10 back, and do a 2 mile loop to finish up.

I started running and felt AWESOME> Rest and eating does a body good. I was enjoying the run on the unpaved trail (crushed limestone) and be careful not to steo upon any felled walnuts from the trees that lined the path. Apparently I wasnt careful enough as my left foot stepped right on a big fat green one; my left ankle turned outward and I went down on my left side HARD. "broke" my fall kinda with my left palm, losing a chuck of flesh to the trail. You dont WANT to know the language that came out of my mouth after I caught my breath (Jenn would have a good idea). I was so pissed, and when I tried to get up, it was obvious that I had sprained it. What did dummy here decide to do? Dammit- run another freaking 19 miles, that's what I did. The ankle blew up by mile 6, but dammit, I was getting this last run over with. As long as I did not stop, things were fine, as it's a very easy, non rolling motion, this running thing- when done right. So I just kept motoring at more like a 12 minute mile at first, which feels LIKE YOU ARE CRAB-WALKING. Eventually I brought it up to a n 11 min mile and I was happy again. The point of it was, if it doesnt hurt and get gradually worse, you didnt break anything therefore keep going. At least in my stupid world that's how it works.

So things learned on this long run:
1. if you're not first, you're last
2. if you can still move forward, shut up and do it.
3. Lube your triceps. You lose form at mile 19 and they rub against your boobs
4. Lube where ever your sportsbra touches your body
5. Drink more water between miles 10 and 17.
6. Tennis balls are awesome for moving fluid out of your resulting cankle.

and most importantly, AVOID WALNUTS LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Total for the week:
2+2+22=26 miles.

Well folks, it's on to the TAPER! I cannot wait. I have a few days to kinda take it easier on the foot, doing some crosstraining, and then hit a 6 miler this weekend to test out my blue and purple cankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment