Thursday, June 11, 2009

Week 2-Can a klutz survive marathon training?

okay, so almost to end of week 2 training for this marathon and it's been okay. I travelled to DC this week to review grants so there were a couple of problems, including little time to run and lots of sugar during the breaks. Now, unless you have sat on your ass in a room with 20 other scientists from 8am till 6pm arguing the merits of other people's works, you have no idea how much sugar and caffeine are necessary to keep science chugging along. 

Anyways, managed to get in a run on Monday, and walked about 5 miles in the terminal whilst stuck for 11 freaking hours at Dulles airport. I followed a few of those crazy powerwalking ladies you see around, so I was hauling. 

So I had just boarded the plane, sooooo excited to have made it standby, and I noticed my phone was no longer in my pocketses. The flight attendant let me run back to the terminal to check that it didnt fall out in the seats (it didnt), and then they told me to haul ass back to the plane since they were leaving momentarily. I ran (part of my training) and came around a corner only to fall flat on my face, twisting my left (bad) knee and turning my right ankle. So a-hab here had to have the flight attendant help me over the threshhold onto the plane since my ankle was screwed. Long story short, the damn phone was on plane (under my seat) and I had tweaked my ankle and knee, and has one of those nice damp razberries on my knee. 

Well, good news is, that after some ibuprofen, a lot of stretching and a slow 4 miler on Wed, all is well. I will definately have to re-implement the icing/stretching/ibuprofen protocol from yee ole days of old from whence I blew out my left knee and had the reconstruction. So the real question here is, can a klutz survive all this, especially with a crappy ACL, MCL and meniscus? Tune in folks...

PS: lost another 1.5lbs this week, even with the sugar and beer this week. Damn, this could work out just fine after all. 

PPS: progress this week
Sun- off; Monday 3.5 mi; Tues 5.0 mi (walk); Wed 4.0 mi; Thurs 45 min crosstrain; Fri off; Sat 5 mi run

oh, and I've actually been doing interval training with my personal trainer on Tue/Thu. I am now up to a 6.3 min/mile pace?!!! well, for one minute intervals, for 15 one minute intervals, alternating on lifting weights

3 comments:

  1. yeah weight loss! gives you an out for all that beer you'll no doubt be drinking during this training in order to make it through (mentally I mean). at least, that's what I tell myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. JW: you of all people had better NOT be doing this for weight loss, but rather to justify consuming twice as much beer with your kegerator at home! I covet your kegarator. If I had one of those at y new place, I would look like Fat BAstard at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no no no - don't misunderstand me! already I have no clothes to wear as my size 2 pants fall off me (don't kill me!). But I figure, this way, I can drink and drink and drink at that bar of mine, and...NO WORRIES!!!! Besides, I'm trying to build my tolerance back up considering I took almost a year from imbibing (add THAT to your list of reasons NOT to get preggers!!!).

    Speaking of which, when you coming back over to hang at the bar?? I need someone to drink with...

    ReplyDelete