Sunday, June 14, 2009

Knocking knees

so got through my weekend runs in decent enough shape (5 and 4 miles). Got a lot of clicking and shifting going on in my bad knee, but after doing a lot of reading on the Internets about this sound with post-ACL reconstructions, I feel much better. Pretty common and most likely due to some scar tissue in there from the weeks of immobility I had back in the day due to severe nerve damage. Note to self: don't ski Whistler blue runs in a blinding snow storm!

So it's dinner and beer, an ice cream sandwich and the ice bag for me tonight. Oh, and my new best friend is Tylenol PM. I love this stuff. I pass out cold for 6 hrs. 

This week I am focusing on fixing one of the many flaws in my ridiculous running style (ask Graveel about it). I have to focus more on Heel-toe-ing it, so as to not shuffle. Today it worked out much better that way.

Also, trying to figure out if I am super-friendly when I run, as I either nod or wave to the oncoming runners or smiling walkers, even the jack-wads just kinda look pissed. I guess it is what it is. I smile as to get through this crap. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kate. I'm feeling pretty inspired by your story. I am signed up to run the 4-mile race on 4th of July and have been consistently running with the Y Running Club every Monday and Friday. I am having trouble with my self-discipline to run on my own at home.

    My running partner at the Y has done a half marathon, which I've toyed with the idea also. We are consistently running between 3-4 miles each time, but I need more to work towards.

    Keep up the great work, it keeps me going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome Margret. I suggest this blog thingee, or tell folks you are going to do the 4 miler, so you cant weasel out, like I want to do!

    Actually I have a schedule posted nice and big in my kitchen so I can check off my runs as I go along. I like this so I can see how many miles a week I am running. I am not concerned about speed, just logging in the miles and finishing my 26+ on race day without a major BONK. And you CAN do a half. If you can do 4 miles, and you have 12 weeks or so, you can train to do a half safely.

    ReplyDelete