Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Goal is Revealed

okay, just a quick post on a funny conversation with the lady at the check in desk at the YMCA I go to. Her name is Roz and she is a really nice black lady that loves to talk about things in general. I like her. She puts me in a good mood. Like today- she asked why I was putting in longer hours as of late. I told her about the marathon training. Immediately she says, "you know Oprah ran one of those". Then the cat was out of the bag.

You see I read in my one training book about the marathon goal of just being faster than Oprah, and I immediately adopted that mantra. No preachy self-righteous ninny is gonna beat my sarcastic-know-it-all ass. So here's the problem- freaking Oprah trained with a running coach for like 12 months and then he ran with her and she finished in 4:30 apparently. That is a damn good time. That is a 10 min mile, guys, which is my goal. I now fear The Oprah.

Anyway, Roz started laughing something fierce when I told her the goal, and she told me she would mention it in her next e mail to Oprah. Apparently Roz emails Oprah weekly to let her know what's going on. She doesnt know if anyone from the show reads it, but Oprah is Roz's email friend. So we both got a good laugh and as it stands, Roz will narc me out to Oprah tonight.

1 comment:

  1. you'd better beat Oprah - or I will NEVER let you live it down!!! No pressure or anything!

    ReplyDelete