Monday, July 27, 2009

Week 8: UPGRADES!

okay, so we left off last week with me thinking my damn shoes were bricks and I had to do something about it ASAP. So I waited until AFTER yet another long run (this Saturday's run) and another night of wtf! knee and calf pain to go and get some expert opinions on my shoes. Turns out they do, indeed, suck. They are high quality shoes, just the wrong shoes for me.

Here's the lowdown:
I have flat feet (apparently you can find this out for yourself by stepping in water barefooted and looking at your footprint. And the uber-stabilizing shoes I had are completely wrong for that! Then they asked me to walk barefooted for a little while and turns out I do NOT over-pronate. All this combined pretty much means that the shoe I was in was causing my problems, not solving them. I ended up with saucony hurricanes, and dropped 135$ in the process!!! HOLY SHIT! Well after running in them once, and not shuffling or flailing even once, I dont care what they freaking cost. And to boot, I went from a 10+ min mile to a 9:30 today. Awesome!

And I am in the entirely wrong field of employment. I got a referral for a nutritionalist seeing as my eating is all out of whack. I'm hungry, I'm tired, etc. So the clinic called me back (Diabetes and Nutritional Therapy) and I find out insurance likely wont cover it (I expected that) but the rates are 52$
not for a hr
not for 30 min
FOR 15 MINUTES!
yes, they require a mandatory 60 min first session for 208$ per hour.
Books at the library and stuff on the internets are free, I decided.

So the recap on the week:
Sun: off
Monday: 3.3 miles
Tuesday: 3 miles + personal trainer + 1 mi
Wed: 4.5 miles
Thurs: personal trainer + 1 mi
Friday: O-F-F! Drank beer and had take out Chinese. Was passe out cold by 9pm.
Sat: Had a fantastic 11 mi run through Fallen Timbers Battlefield (from the War of 1812). I decided to off-road it to help out my severely aching knee and ran on grass trails and pea gravel. It was really beautiful (through the meadow in bloom with all sorts of birds flying by) and very relaxing. Before I knew it, I had knocked off 8 miles! Then brought it home for 11, showered, SCARFED FUD and passed out for an hour. It was a very good workout.

Tally: 3.3+3+1+4.5+1+11=23.8!


No comments:

Post a Comment