Monday, July 20, 2009

Week 7: Rules of Engagement

okay so last I left off, the ipod was dead, my legs were tired and i have like 3 more months of this to go.

AWESOME

So this week was really tough. My body just bonked on me midweek and I had to skip one shorter run in lieu of a nap. I think the move, the driving, the biking, personal training and the lab, etc was doing me in. And I dod some reading on the NY Times Run Well Blog and I think I am definitely undergoing a protein bonk. Tonight's dinner: big effing HAMBURGER!

Anyway, this week it is all about re-introducing myself to my calf muscles. Holy crap wtf did I do to them to deserve this? So I think it's my new shoes. I havent effectively broken these in beyond a 9 mile run. They are essentially a newer model of my other pair, which I rotate into the week's activities. I dont have the big problems with my old shoes.

So quick back-story. I run like an idiot. I have a left leg that flails around and whacks the right calf when I am getting tired. Graveel et al make fun of me, but screw them since I am faster thean them on the long runs. So the Gazelle sports guy a few yrs back gave me this shoe that is supposed to correct this problem- and it did very well. I am now thinking that since blowing out the knee, having the reconstruction and now REALLY having strengthened the muscles up, I might not need these crazy super stabilizing shoes, that they might actually be causing a few problems, like the stomping, since they are kinda clunky and rigid. So FINALLY, I have a weekend here in town in Toh-lee-d'oh! and so I will be heading out to a new running store to get a second opinion.

Shoes aside, I kicked some ass on Sunday mountain biking with a non-hungover Jenn, and Leanne- both of whom rocked. My legs felt great, even after the 8.5 mil I ran the night before.

Drove home and could barely walk after the 3hrs drive.

The recap on the week:

Sun: Mtn biking 7 mi
Mon: Off
Tuesday: 5 mi + 30 min personal trainer (another 1mi run)
Wed: no running. PASS OUT
Thursday: 2 mi + 30 min personal trainer (another 1mi at 6.5 min/mile sprints)
Fri: off, but lots of friggin yardwork
Sat: 9 mi run. rescued a toad on the second lap of Reeds Lake. Yay me

Here's the clincher. After running 9 mi, drove home right after catching a ghetto shower in the restroom. I just wanted to get home, and since I was way behind in my schedule due to visiting friends in town, I was too late to do my EGR high school locker room visit. Aside from be a smelly mess, and tired, hungry and thirsty, my legs were seizing up as I was driving. What a retard. Got home at 9pm and popped 4 ibuprofen and was D-O-N-E. Unfortunately insomnia kicked in and ruined a perfectly good Sat night crash.

Totals:
Run=5mi+1mi+2mi+1mi+9mi=18mi
Bike: 7mi

Totally flogged. Trying to kick these miles up to 25 this week, so we'll see if I hold up! No biking for a few weeks though since I'll be sticking around here...

No comments:

Post a Comment